Autologous blood therapy in Düsseldorf and the surrounding area
We are your specialized orthopaedists for autologous blood therapy in Düsseldorf.
National Geographic interview on the topic of autologous blood therapy
As a specialist in orthopaedics and trauma surgery, Panagiotis Karachalios was interviewed about autologous blood therapy by National Geographic.
This article discusses autologous blood therapy with a specialist’s opinion and what possibilities but also limitations the PRP method and the BCS method have.
If you want to learn more about the interview, you can read the full article here.
What is autologous blood therapy?
Autologous blood therapy – also called autologous blood procedures, of which PRP (Plateled Rich Plasma) is one – is a procedure in which your own blood is used to heal your complaints. Autologous blood therapy is above all a good, alternative solution to possible surgery or injections with artificial ingredients such as cortisone.
Autologous blood treatment makes use of the body’s own healing ingredients in your blood: For this purpose, a small amount of your own blood is taken from you, processed by us in our practices with different intensities depending on the type of procedure and then returned to your bloodstream.
Thanks to autologous blood therapy, damaged tissue such as joint, bursa or tendon inflammation can be successfully treated. Autologous blood therapy can heal tissue and is thus indirectly also a pain therapy, as painful tissue is treated and can be healed. This treatment method has nothing in common with the “blood doping” that has recently become known in the media.
Autologous blood therapy – here’s how it can help you get well again
- The body’s self-healing powers are at work – Autologous blood therapy is effective because it harnesses the natural healing powers of the blood. For this reason, no chemical medication is necessary. The intelligence of the body always provides for a natural healing power. This healing power was discovered by scientists in autoblood therapy and a recognised procedure was developed that is now successfully used for the treatment of many complaints.
- Fast healing – Due to the very healing potency of the serum from autologous blood, the tissue damage can be quickly brought to healing during the autologous blood treatment.
- Pain reduction – The pain reduces rapidly and the original function of the affected region can be restored within a few weeks, depending on the findings.
- PRP for sports injuries – The downtime after a sports injury can be drastically reduced thanks to an autologous blood treatment.
- Autologous blood therapy for wounds – Wound healing disorders and chronic wounds can be quickly healed with this treatment.
The advantages of autologous blood therapy
- Treatment without artificial medication – The great advantage of autologous blood therapy for you as a patient is that we can treat you without artificial additives such as cortisone and will use the natural healing processes of your blood.
- Avoiding surgery – Autologous blood therapy is a recognized procedure that can be used as an alternative to surgery. We can often avoid extensive operations for our patients in this way.
- Hardly any side effects – There are hardly any side effects for you as a patient during treatment with your own blood, as the use of medicines and chemicals is dispensed with in PRP.
Autologous blood therapy in our practices for orthopaedics and trauma surgery – Our expertise
We have a very comprehensive expertise, as we use the procedure of autohaemotherapy on a daily basis.
Good assessment of the correct indication
We can assess very well when treatment is useful and when it is not. We will certainly be able to advise you whether the procedure is suitable for you and whether we can achieve the desired treatment success. Since we can simultaneously demonstrate an immense amount of experience in operations, we know exactly when such a procedure makes sense and when it does not: as experienced orthopaedic surgeons and surgeons, we are able to assess the severity of an injury well and thus judge when a Autologous blood therapy used and when surgery is more appropriate than treatment.
Good treatment results
We have been using the procedure for years and have a very high satisfaction rate (positive outcome) among patients (e.g. professional athletes).
Autologous blood therapy – areas of application
As orthopaedic surgeons, we use autologous blood treatment for the therapy of the entire musculoskeletal system.
- for muscle fibre or muscle bundle tears
- Tendon injuries
- Patella tip syndrome
Autologous blood therapy for osteoarthritis:
- for inflammatory changes in the joints, e.g. arthrosis
Autologous blood therapy shoulder:
- for muscle fibre or muscle bundle tears
- Tendon injuries (e.g. of the rotator cuff)
Autologous blood therapy arms / legs:
- for muscular and inflammatory changes in the tendon insertions, e.g. tennis elbow or heel spurs.
- for bursitis
- for wound healing disorders
- for sport injuries
Procedure of the autologous blood therapy for you as a patient
Before the treatment
Clarification and therapy plan – Before we start the autologous blood therapy with you, we will provide you with comprehensive information and clarification. Depending on the duration and extent of the treatment – which is individual depending on the cause of the therapy – we will arrange treatment appointments with you in one of our practices for orthopaedics and trauma surgery.
Fasting for treatment – The healing effect of the platelets (thrombocytes) in your blood is highest when you are fasting. The intake of food reduces the number of blood platelets. For this reason, it is best to take the blood sample while you are fasting.
Reception and individual treatment – On the day of therapy, we welcome you to one of our practices in Düsseldorf and the surrounding area. The procedure that is used for you will be individually tailored to you and can therefore take different amounts of time. The shortest procedure will involve a stay of about half an hour for you in our practices.
We offer you different types of procedures for treatment with your own blood:
The PRP therapy
Processing of your blood – The collected blood is processed and centrifuged in a special separation procedure. In the process, the red blood cells are separated from the remaining blood components. Thanks to this procedure, a high concentration of platelets is achieved and a highly effective plasma is obtained, which contains the body’s own growth factors.
Re-injecting the serum: The PRP preparation procedure usually takes about 10 min. Subsequently, the serum obtained is injected directly into the affected region with tissue damage and can develop its effect there.
Duration and frequency of PRP: You will receive your own blood injections in our practice. Your treatment will usually be done this way about three times at intervals of five to seven days.
The minimally invasive cartilage therapy
Preparation of your blood – The aim of blood collection with minimally invasive cartilage therapy is to increase the body’s own protective proteins in the blood. The protective proteins have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and cartilage-protective properties. The preparation procedure for minimally invasive cartilage therapy is more complex and takes an average of eight hours.
Duration and frequency of minimally invasive cartilage therapy: Your treatment will usually be done this way about three to four times at intervals of five to seven days.
After the treatment
After the PRP – After the autologous blood therapy – especially after the PRP therapy – there may possibly be an increase in pain in the treated region during the first two days. Don’t worry, this is completely normal. This condition is due to the body’s healing process beginning.
Rest period during the therapy period – in order to support the body’s own healing processes, the region of the therapy is to be spared for the respective treatment period.
What is autologous blood therapy for?
Autologous blood therapy can strengthen the body’s defences and help against chronic infections, bursitis, torn muscle fibres, tendon injuries, tennis elbow, rheumatic diseases or circulatory disorders.
What does autologous blood therapy cost?
Which health insurance company pays for autologous blood therapy?
How long does autologous blood therapy take?
Our doctors are specialists in orthopaedics and trauma surgery and have extensive experience in the treatment with autologous blood. Autologous blood therapy does not use medication and is a special pain therapy that makes use of the healing powers of the blood and the body’s own immune system function. Our doctors will use autologous blood therapy for pain therapy and for physical complaints of the musculoskeletal system. Autologous blood injections are widely used in medicine – More and more doctors are using autologous blood therapy and the body’s own immune system.
Our practice and doctors also trust in the procedure: